Continuing about my visit to the Vermont rail yard. It certainly has a nice view from Vermont rail Headquarters.
Right on the shores of Lake Champlain.
Turntable at the Yard
Was able to see the old turntable (still used), and then did get to ride along on a switching move.
Engineer of GP16 No 802
Going to pick up some rolling stock arriving.
Freight agent handing off paperwork
Russell snowplow ready to handle Vermont winters.
A very enjoyable and unexpected day in Vermont.
Great day visiting the Vermont Rail yards at Burlington, right on the shores of Lake Champlain.
Vermont Rail System 50th Anniversary GP40-2LW Number 311
Will post more from that day in other posts
Getting track in place on the concrete bridge including ballast.
Concrete bridge with track
Still need to weather the track and the bridge.
Another view of the area from under the bridge.
Low angle looking up at some of the trestle bases
Putting the arch bridge in place and starting to embed it into the landscape.
Bridge being embedded in the scene
Next laying the track on the bridge, more growth along the water and weathering the bridge and the rock castings
Walnut Lane bridge over the Wissahickon creek
The Walnut lane bridge was certainly most of my wanting to reproduce something similar in HO scale. Although the Walnut lane bridge is a roadway bridge with cantilevered sidewalks, the main structural elements for a railroad bridge would be similar, and I did not try to reproduce an exact copy this bridge, which is right in my neighborhood.
Walnut Lane bridge from creek walking path
The bridge was built in 1908 and at that time was the longest masonry arch span in the world, just now finishing a restoration.
Rapids not quite finished. but moving along, flowing off the front of the layout.
Moving on from two posts ago, working with the water
Adding more water layers
showing a detail of tree branch in the water
Tree branch caught in the rapids
Adding more layers including highlights and foam
Rapids with foam
Here my neighbors grandson intently at the controls.
Very seriously at the controls.
The next step was to airbrush the bridge with aged concrete.
Airbrushed bridge in spray booth
Then test fitting the bridge in place
Bridge in setting
Then working out the river area under the bridge with aluminum angle, foam, plywood, masonite and caulk
Working out the river course
Then fleshed out a little more with rocks, sculptamold, and the start of scenery
River and banks starting to take shape
More scenery and bridge weathering in a future post.
After the second pour was cast and fully cured, I started to detail and assemble the bridge.
Adding stone seam lines stage 1
Then enlarging the grooves with a file, and then a steel rod of the right diameter.
Filing the stone lines
Steel rod in the 3rd stage of scribing the stone lines
I also filed bevels on the vertical edges of the small arches
Filing relief angle on small arches
I then painted the inside walls of the bridge with aged concrete
Testing assembled bridge ( no exterior paint or weathering)
In a future post I’ll talk about painting, weathering and installing the bridge in the layout
Back, finally, to casting the second side of my arch bridge, so to bring things up to date, here are a few shots of the mold and initial pour.
Wood & Sintra mold with steel wire re-enforcing rods
Pouring Hydrocal in a hurry – sets quick
and leveling off
Then back to the present starting the second pour
original cast and second pour
Both casts with spacer cut from 3/4 inch Sintra (expanded closed cell PVC sheet)
I’ll continue detailing and assembly in the next post