Back, finally, to casting the second side of my arch bridge, so to bring things up to date, here are a few shots of the mold and initial pour.
Wood & Sintra mold with steel wire re-enforcing rods
Pouring Hydrocal in a hurry – sets quick
and leveling off
Then back to the present starting the second pour
original cast and second pour
Both casts with spacer cut from 3/4 inch Sintra (expanded closed cell PVC sheet)
I’ll continue detailing and assembly in the next post
Some Photos showing progress, and also trying arrangements of structures for the engine servicing facility, and how these would photograph in different light (time of day-or weather)
Working with laying track and stone wall at one yard lead
Track down and stone wall further along with concrete cap.
Trying position of servicing structures
Working it out.
Camera and lighting set up after placing structures and ballast, greenery etc.
Final early morning light Photo.
Early morning happening-Click to enlarge
Back from Timonium GSMTS and ready to test and figure out my control panel for the yard
8 Unit pack of touch toggles with its control base and power supply
Excited to see what I can do with the Berrett Hill Touch Toggles. Will need another 8 pack to complete the whole panel, maybe even an 8 and a 4 pack
Tracks and switches going down with Dynaflex 230
Yard partially glued down
All the switches are either Micro Engineering (and Dcc ready) or Shinohara altered to be DCC friendly. Also wires soldered to frogs and fished down through holes to connect to tortoise contacts below the layout
Decided to add wood planking to a New Jersey International signal bridge. Thought it would add a bit of color and some signal bridges did include that feature.
Signal bridge with planking
Back after a summer of visiting various railroad venues, and getting down to finishing trackwork. I am modifying Shinohara code 70 # 8 switches, to work on DCC.
I am using Micro engineering Code 70 flextrack and # 6 switches, but need some # 8s and also some # 4s on the logging branch, which ME does not offer. On the Shinoharas, I am changing to gapped PC board throw rods and connecting the running rails and closure rails with wire jumpers soldered to the bottom of the rails.
Modified Shinohara #8 code 70 switch
Also cutting gaps in the rail on either side of the frog, filling the gaps with CA glued plastic, formed to fit, and soldering a wire to the frog rails underneath to connect to a Tortoise switch machine contacts as the switch is thrown to guard against shorting.
Switch frog modified
Just a few more examples of the things on view at Steamtown national historic site
Reading FP7 number 902
Massive UP Big Boy No. 4012
Another area that I am working on, both for operation reasons and for photography, is the yard and engine service area. Still have some final pieces to add to the concrete coaling tower, as well as definite weathering. This is the first of several structures to be completed for that area as well as track and signaling
Almost completed coaling tower
Also working on Sanding tower, water tower and stanchions, small sheds, as well as the switches and trackwork.
As a photographer, I am starting to look at sections of the in progress layout to work up into completed photographs of scenes, looking to do this in different weather scenarios, time of day, etc. I will put up several in the next few posts and then later I’ll recall them and the finished photographs.
View across main line and siding to town
Finishing the highway underpass leading out of town. I added led lighting and safety railings, as I have made the sidewalks higher above the road surface.
self adhesive LED strip light and connector
Here the railings have been added and some random trash added. (might add more later)
almost ready to install
View from road under the bridge showing lights, railing and a poster on the wall
Under the bridge
Will add a wall surface from sidewalk to the Road before installing the underpass