Finally getting some light for the town started, with some streetlights and gas lamps for in front of the hotel
Using several kinds of lighting including woodland scenics Just Plug, strips of long reel leds
as well as some 12-16 volt incandescent Veissmann gas lamps.
Rigging bus bars and Just Plug light hub to a couple of mini plugs [added later) so the access section can be removed if needed with little trouble.
Finishing the highway underpass leading out of town. I added led lighting and safety railings, as I have made the sidewalks higher above the road surface.
Here the railings have been added and some random trash added. (might add more later)
View from road under the bridge showing lights, railing and a poster on the wall
Will add a wall surface from sidewalk to the Road before installing the underpass
Needed to have risers at different angle than the standard 2, 3 or 4% for replacing lead up to bridge and overpass.
Cutting risers lightly glued to board on band saw.
Ready to install.
Continuing town Building with concrete pad and wiring for soon to be Gulf Gas Station
Here is a general view of the layout, more detailed views coming soon. Working on several areas, including the Town and Logging area as well as the Yard.
Picking back up on a much earlier post, I finally started casting my concrete arch hydrocal bridge in two halves.
My waxed wood and sintra casting form
Pouring hydrocal with steel rod reinforcements
Leveling to the face of the form
Exterior pieces of the form being removed
Casting removed from the mold and flipped over, with only the individual small arch pieces to be removed. These pieces have a 3 degree slope for ease of getting them out of the piece. Still required a few knocks with a small hammer on each to remove!
First half cast, but I’ll add some detailing with a file, forming casting joints and other details, then cast the other half and place them back to back, with a spacer which is typical for this type of bridge, really two identical arches, connected at the top.
Having made 4 pop-up areas in my layout for access to track etc, I made foam plugs to sit on strips in the access holes to support the scenery, or town, or hill. The foam is light and sturdy.
Here is the first section that will hold part of the town on my layout, in this case using a large sheet of styrene for the roads that lap over the joints of the plug to conceal it once settled into
the pop-up area.
I also put some large bolts that will be hidden inside removable buildings, that make it very easy to lift the section from the area.
I think it’s time I stopped looking at lots of structure kits and parts, and start making a place for the inhabitants of the railroad towns to live their lives. Building starts are looking up in this world.
Shown here is a test casting, in Hydrocal, of a section of the concrete arch bridge. I wanted to test how the plaster would exit the mold. It was difficult, even in this small section, and even though I had built the mold with a 3 degree taper for the pieces forming the small enclosed arches. The outside pieces of the mold all are removable and that was fine, so I decided to make each of the individual small arch pieces separately removable, so one by one they can be eased out of the whole piece. Hopefully I will have a photo of a completed full casting sometime in the near future. I was pleased by the look of the piece and anxious to see a whole side intact!